Story of the week
PROFESSOR OLUKOSI JAMES
Agriculral Economics and Extension
Professor James Otunola Olukosi, born in Iwo, Isin LGA, Kwara state Nigeria in 1944 obtained his B.Sc. Agriculture degree in 1968 at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria where he was employed the same year. He obtained his M.Sc. and PhD degrees in Agricultural Economics in 1972 and 1979 in USA respectively and Proficiency Certificate in French in 1986 at Ahmadu Bello University, where he rose to the rank of professor in 1992.
He served as coordinator of several networks both national and international in the areas of Farming Systems Research and Participatory Approaches. He was the Editor of many journals, bulletins and newsletters. In recognition of his contribution to the development of Farming Systems Research and Extension in Nigeria and other African countries, he was engaged by the World Bank in 1986 to propagate the Training and Visit Extension system throughout Nigeria.
He served as resource person in over 30 training workshops in participatory and farming systems research-extension approaches. He has supervised over 150 undergraduates, 46 M.Sc. and 24 PhD students.
He co-authored eight text books which are used throughout Nigeria and four other books on appropriate technologies for small scale farmers. He has over 109 publications to his credit.
He is a member of several professional societies; attended over 30 national and international conferences and workshops; reviewed several journal articles,
Completed several research projects from which useful technology recommendations have emerged. He has served as consultant to over fifteen national and international bodies and has held several administrative positions.
1. Olukosi, J .O. and P.O. Erhabor, 1988. Introduction to Farm Management Economics: Principles and Applications. (Text book for B.Sc. Agriculture) Agitab Publishers, Zaria, Nigeria. 114 pp.
2. Olukosi, J.O. and A.O. Ogungbile, 1989. Introduction to Farm Management Economics: Principles and Applications (Text book for B.Sc. Agriculture) Agitab Publishers, Zaria, Nigeria.
3. Olukosi, J.O. and S.U. Isitor 1990. Introduction to Agricultural Marketing and Prices: Principles and Applications. (Text book for B.Sc. Agriculture) Living Books Series, GU Publications, P.O. Box 2280, Abuja FCT, Nigeria, 116 pp.
4. Aduku, A.O. and J.O. Olukosi, 1990. Rabbit Management in the Tropics. (Text book for B.Sc. Agriculture) Living Books Series, GU Publications, P.O. Box 220, Abuja FCT, Nigeria. 115 pp.
5. Rayer, A.J., B.K. Kaigarna, J.O. Olukosi and A.B. Anaso, 1990. Wheat in Nigeria: Production, Processing and Utilization. Lake Chad Research Institute, Maiduguri, Nigeria. 300 pp.
6. Aduku, A.O. and J.O. Olukosi, 1991. Animal Products: Processing and Handling in the Tropics. (Text Book for B.Sc. Agriculture) Living Books Series, GU Publications, P.O. Box 2280, Abuja FCT, Nigeria. 103 pp.
7. Olukosi, J.O., A.O. Ogungbile and B.A. Kalu, 1991. Appropriate Technologies for Nigerian Resource-Poor-Farmers. Ed. National Farming Systems Research Network, Zaria, Nigeria, 22pp.
8. Bezunneh, T., M. Kamuanga, T. Kibreab and J.O. Olukosi, 1992. Ed. Appropriate Technologies for Sustainable Agricultural Systems in Sub-Saharan Africa. SAFGRAD,
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
9. Weber, G.K., J. Smith and J.O. Olukosi, 1992 Eds. Characterization of Target Zones and Technological Adaptation for On-Farm Testing of Leguminous Species. Ed. Proceedings of the Second COMBS Workshop, Kurnasi, Ghana, 1990. Published by West African Farming Systems Research Network and IITA, Ibadan, 71 pp
1. Abdul Salam, Z., J.O. Olukosi and S.A. Ogunwale (1998) "Impact of Cross-Border Trade on the Production of the Relevant Crops in Katsina State, Nigeria". Nigerian Journal of Rural Economic and Society, Vol.1 No.4 pp.38-43. ,-
2. Ochi, J.E., J.O. Olukosi and S.B.L. Gupta (1996). “Social, Economic and Cultural Evaluation of the Small-Scale Cropping Systems in Benue State, Nigeria.” Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. 46, 1996: 75-84.
3... Iheanacho, A.C., Olukosi, J.O. and A.O. Ogungbile (2000). “Economic Efficiency of Resource Use in Millet- Based Cropping Systems in Borno State of Nigeria.” Nigeria Journal of Tropical Agriculture, Vol. 2: 33-42.
4. Maiangwa, M.G., A.O. Ogungbile, J.O. Olukosi and T.K. Atala (2007). “Land Degradation: Theory and Evidence from the North-West Zone of Nigeria”. Journal of Applied Sciences 7 (6) 785-795.Asian Network for Scientific Information
5. Jongur, A. A. U, J. O. Olukosi and A.O. Ogungbile (2007) “Economics of Masakwa Production by Farmers in Yola South Local Government Area of Adamawa State” Nigerian Journal of Tropical Agriculture vol. 9
6. Abubakar, M.I. and J.O Olukosi (2008) “Analysis of Cowpea Production under the National Programme on Food Security in Argungu Area, Kebbi State of Nigeria
1. Alamu J.F. and J. O. Olukosi,2008. Simplified Research Methodology: Principles and Practice, Great Glory Publishers, Zaria Nigeria, 150 pp.
2. Magit Patrick D. and J.O. Olukosi 2013 Elements of Production Economicsgreat Great Glory Publishers , Zaria Nigeria 94pp.
3. Olukosi, J. O., J.F. Alamu and S.U. Isitor, 2015. Agricultural Finance: Principles and Applications. Great Glory Publishers, Zaria, Nigeria.
The teaching responsibility included courses at both undergraduate and post- graduate levels since 1973 to date.
Courses taught with dates are as follows:
AERS 201:Principles of Farm Management 1973-75; 1980-81 (3 Credit Hours)
AERS 402:Intermediate Farm Management 1973-75; 1980-1992 (3 Credit Hours)
AERS 406:International Trade 1973-75 (3 Credit Hours).
AERS 606:Advanced Farm Management 1980 to date (3 Credit Hours).
AERS 301:Introductory Statistics 1982-84 (3 Credit Hours).
VET 301:Livestock Economics (Veterinary Students) 1982-84 (3 Credit Hours)
AERS 615:Introduction to Econometrics 1990-92 (3 Credit Hours)
AERS 608:Quantitative Techniques 1990 to 1994 (3 Credit Hours)
AERS 540:Farm Production and Management 1986 to 1992 (3 Credit Hours)
AERS 542:Agricultural Marketing 1992 to 1992 (3 Credit Hours)
AERS 612:Advanced Agricultural Marketing 1992 to date (3 Credit Hours)
AEE 503:Introduction to Econometrics (Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto)
AEE705:Micro- Economic Theory (Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto)
AEE 711: Agricultural Marketing and Prices (Usmanu Danfodiyo University)
AERS 603:Introduction to Micro- Economics PGDFM (2005 to date)
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) (Agric. Economics)
Proficient Certificate in French
Master of Science (M.Sc.) (Agric. Economics)
Bachelor of Science (Agriculture)
West African Examination Council WAEC O/Level
Higher School Certificate (HSC) A/Level
Primary School Leaving Certificate
Get the latest news and updates by signing up to our daily newsletter.
Story of the week